Sunday, May 6, 2012

It's a Big Deal

It's Sunday, May 6, 2012, just one more day before we depart on the trip of a life time.

I have a sense this morning of the significance of this trip we have planned.  This is one of those things you/we all talk about for a lot of our lives.  We want to take a trip, an adventure and not be pressed for time.  This is exciting and as it has drawn closer, I have felt the excitement growing.

Even this morning was different.  I didn't sort the Sunday paper the way I usually do.  Normally, I separate the ads from the stuff worth reading and then, separate the coupons separately from totally worthless stuff telling me about the things I can't live without, but I'm doing just fine without; so thanks very much!

Today we will hook the car up to the RV and make sure everything's working correctly (for the 3rd or 4th time!!).  We don't have a name for this one yet, but we've decided that we need to be on the road with it before we can decide.

Not sure how many others have named vehicles.  My tradition of naming cars began with my first; a 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak 8.  It was a blue, 4-door.  I had a great uncle living across town in Minneapolis who didn't drive it anymore.  It didn't run, but my step-father and I hooked a tow chain to it and dragged it home.  It sat in the driveway for almost a month with penetrating fluid in the cylinders to unfreeze the engine.  Meanwhile, we were charging the six-volt battery in the garage.  After about a month, El (pronounced "AL") said "Let's give it a try!", and don't you know, that old straight 8 engine started up!!  I was definitely excited.

For those who don't know what a straight 8 is, I'm reasonably certain you've heard of an in-line 4, or six.  That is, the cylinders are in a line as opposed to a "V-shape".  Well, the Pontiac had eight cylinders in line.  The hood on that car was loonnnggg!!  I've posted a picture of what my car looked like.  Admittedly, the body on mine wasn't as pristine as the one in the picture.  Afterall, it had seen a lot of years of exposure to Minnesota winters and salt on the icy roads.  But I did love that car!  And, after driving it for awhile, I decided she needed to be called "Rosie".  I haven't named every car I ever owned, but have decided that naming the RV is an important step.

So, we're ready to hit the road and the trip will soon begin!!!

Thanks for reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment